The Woodford Heritage Centre

This building situated on Barkhill, was erected by Rev. Fr Costello in 1834 and used as a school for pupils aged eight years and upwards.  In 1865 the number of boys in attendance was recorded as 129.   In the same year there were 137 girls enrolled in primary education in Woodford.  The building served the community as a school for ninety years until 1924 when the boy’s school was relocated to the present site.

In 1925 the hall became known as the Parochial Hall and under the auspices of a voluntary committee of local individuals held most parish social functions.  The spaciousness of the ground floor provided an ideal location for the local “all-night” and “practice” dances, whist and card drives, badminton, boxing club events and Muintir na Tire functions.

Today the building is the headquarters of the East Galway Family History Society CLG.   Additionally the centre is used by the local community for various activities including Community Group meetings, Hospice Coffee mornings, music classes and courses such as IT skills, Digital photography and Family History.  Additionally an Iron Bar dated 1681 (donated by Declan Walsh, Woodford) is on display along with an information panel on the Woodford iron industry and 17th century blast furnaces.

Select Language